Monday, November 10, 2008

Confessions

Alas, it has once again been over a week since I last made a post, and I suppose I can't hide it any longer. It's time that I 'fess up.

*Sigh*

Okay, here goes . . . My creativity has gone and run off with my time! That's right. They both just packed up and moved out and now The Heart's Journey Home is progressing at a snail's pace. Much like the dish that ran away with the spoon, my time and creativity go hand-in-hand. And there are so many things at this time of the year vying for my attention that I can't possibly give my creativity the time it needs to come alive.

It's different for every writer, but for me (and most of the writers I know) I can't just decide at the snap of my fingers to be creative and *poof* it happens. I have to have time to move from real life to "the zone". The aforementioned zone for me is kind of like a portal that actually transports me to my fictional town where my characters are real. I know it sounds weird, but really it's essentially no different than what kids do the minute they hit the playground and they are instantly on Jack Sparrow's pirate ship or at East High singing and dancing with Troy, Gabriella, and the gang. The only problem is that kids have all the time in the world. They can snap their fingers and cross from real life to make-believe. It's not quite so easy when you become a "big person" and you have daily responsibilities and . . . well, STRESS!

Fortunately, this situation is not permanent. My time and my creativity always come slinking back to my door step - usually my creativity before my time. (More often than not I actually have to go hunt down my time and force it to come back!) At this time of year, whether a result of the dropping temperatures or the rapidly approaching holidays, my creativity can never stay away for long, especially when I meditate on what a creative Lord we love and serve.

Here in Tennessee the fall colors have just recently peaked and I'm once again in awe of the magnificent tapistry that is visible from my back deck or even along the highway as I'm on my way to school. Every sunset and sunrise is a masterpiece to behold. I mean, really, just look at the human body! Talk about creative! :) One of my favorite examples of the Lord's creativity, though, is the way He taught. Jesus was a storyteller - and to those who took (and still take) the time to experience Him, I believe, He was (and still is) the most effective storyteller ever!

He certainly didn't ramble as I am now!

So, now tell me, I want to know what you do to nurture your creativity - to keep it from running off with your time!

PRAYER REQUESTS AND UPDATES: Please pray for Kim Baird, a forty-year-old single mother of two teenaged boys who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. Right now details are sketchy. I will certainly give you an update as soon as I have one. In the meantime, please pray for strength, comfort, and most importantly, I think especially for moms who have children and households to take care of, pray that Kim has a peace that passes all understanding - that defies logic. More updates to come in the next few days. And remember, if you or someone you know has a prayer concern (even if it is unspoken - God knows all of our needs after all) please email me personally through my profile and I will be more than happy to post it. There IS power in prayer!

Now, go on and click the comment button. You know you want to! ;->

2 comments:

* said...

if you will go to the link from the playlist it will show exactly where to go to create your own

Krista Phillips said...

I force my creativity.

Here is my personal opinion regarding this, and I know it's different for EVERY author, but I think its important too.

You have to grab minutes where you can.

You have to MAKE yourself do it, and allow yourself not to be perfect.

I few it like praying continually. We aren't sitting there physically praying all the time, but we are in a constant attitude of prayer. When I'm writing my book, I try to always keep my characters and my story on my brain. It's how I get great ideas too! I invite my charcters into my life for X numbers of months while I write. My kids and I talk about them, my husband and I discuss them like they are real people and we are figuring out their problems. I'll be talking to soemone at work and they'll say something and I'll think "That is so Paige!" or "Kat so would say that!"

That's why I can write a chapter during my lunch break. It's why I can write with kids running around the living room playing. It's why I loose sleep because I'm so engrossed in my character's and what is happening that I can't bare to stop even though it's two in the morning and I have to get up at 5:30.

Anyway, that's how I stay focused and in the mood, even though I have a pretty non-creative job and a rediculously busy schedule!