Monday, July 11, 2011

Make-A-New-Friend Monday with Michele Clark

 Good Monday morning, my friends! And since it's Monday, I have a new friend to introduce to you. But first, quick update: I found out this past week that the release date to The Heart's Lullaby has been pushed back to March. :o( This was very disappointing news, but all things happen for a reason and maybe part of that reason was to focus immediately on the "5K for Patty" to benefit Ovarian Cancer Cancer Alliance. It's is moving along at a decent pace - even though I have NO IDEA what I'm doing - with the help and encouragement of some wonderful friends and I'm believing the Lord will bless our efforts. I have to believe this or I'll quit. Honestly. It's a big load on one's already full plate and I really would quit if I didn't believe with every fiber of my being that it will be a success. Please, PLEASE, pray this for me. I'll be posting a link for you to register (or donate) soon. But for now . . . meet Michele Clark!

Michele is a wonderful person who has been through a lot, but has sought the Lord through it all. What I will always remember most about Michele is one day when my Patty was in the hospital in Cleveland, Ohio, and I was stuck in Nashville, TN, going out of my mind that I couldn't get to my best friend, Michele selflessly went to the hospital for me to visit my Patty - someone she'd never met! She took Patty a little "Footprints" plaque, I think. It meant the world to Patty that someone would care so much and it meant the world to me. She's committed to being involved in my 5K for Patty and I love her so much for her willing spirit. You can learn more about her by following her blog:  http://thenot-so-secretlifeofasoccermom.blogspot.com/. Now here's a word from Michele:

I thought coming up with a post for your own blog was difficult. Trying to decide what the right thing to write about for someone else’s blog is so hard. I mean – you guys don’t know me. You don’t know my crazy journey or my quirky personality. I’m not only showing you a little bit of myself (and I’m used to embarrassing myself) but I’m representing Jen and she’s a pretty special lady.

That being said, I guess I should give you a quick summary of my background. I became a single mom just over a year ago. It was a very difficult decision but in the end the right one. Setting out on my own after almost two decades was intimidating enough, but to move halfway across the country with three children could have been a disaster. I decided to move back home to be closer to my family. I quit my job of seventeen years and left my support system behind. Thus how I met Jen. My author friend Teresa from church sent me a copy of Jen’s first book. You know – the one about the single mom from Tennessee who moves to Ohio and finds true love? Guess where my adventure started and ended up?

(That’s me on the right. I was doing laundry right before going out. My friends didn’t believe me so I sent them a picture lol!) (This is Jen now. UNFORTUNATELY, when I copied and pasted the beautiful presentation that Michele put together for me, the pics didn't come so I ripped a pic of her FB page that I think she looks absolutely stunning in. Hope that's okay, Michele. We'll all believe you did the laundry! ;o) )

Right as this journey was beginning, the kids and I went to church camp. It was here that I got some pretty great advice: “Put it in God’s hands.” I have to admit I didn’t really grasp the true meaning of this. But I started to do it anyways. I prayed about my job search. I was going for the perfect job – the one that I would love and was exactly what they were looking for. But I had a feeling the morning of the interview. I got down on my knees and told God “I know this is the perfect job for me, but if it’s not the right one for my family please show me the one that is.” When they described more of the day to day details they mentioned that there would be a lot of 12-14 hour days. I knew right then I wasn’t going to get the job. It was down to me and another girl and she ended up with it. Two days after that I got called for an interview for my current job. The first thing my potential boss said was “family comes first.” Well, there ya go. No contest. I love my job and am grateful for the flexibility it provides. I put my family in God’s hands. What could have been a year of turmoil turned out great. The kids made friends right away. They loved their teachers. The school is awesome. We found a great church. My son asked me the first day we went if he could go there every day. I knew we were home.

The one part of my life I really resisted placing in God’s hands was dating. I figured I could handle it. Truth be told, I wasn’t exactly going about the search the way I knew God would want me to. Every so often I had a nagging sensation telling me I should really just hand over control. But I fought Him for another nine months. My conscience was really starting to bug me but still I ignored it. One day at work, one of my co-workers said “I really think you should put this search in God’s hands. I know He has the right man hand-picked for you and He’s waiting for you to let him have the reigns.” I was shocked. There was no way he could have known what was weighing on my heart. But God did. He knew I wasn’t quite getting the message. Apparently the string of really bad dates didn’t give me a clue or I was just too stubborn to listen.

Well, I figured that it was time. I’m always waiting for the big yellow flashing sign saying “Michele – this is what you are supposed to do.” This was close enough. I finally gave God control.

Less than two weeks later I met Wayne. He’s amazing! We are sooo right for each other. He told me he put the quest for love in God’s hands and He sent him an angel. How do you argue with logic like that? It’s mind-boggling that he did the same thing I did and let God take control. Wayne is from Ohio but was living in Michigan. He had lost his job in September. He truly believes that God made him lose the job so he would finally move back home. And then he found me. Or better yet, followed God’s direction and walked right into my life. By the way, the picture of me with the towel was taken the night I met Wayne :)

So, a year later, I’m sitting at church camp again. Typing this in the few minutes of peace and quiet I have as the kids take a hike. Reminiscing on all that God has done for me and my family in just a year. Excited for what he has in store for all of us in the future. Needless to say I’m putting it ALL in God’s hands from now on. He has blessed me so much. I am able to give my testimony for others because what He did for me.

I challenge you to figure out what parts of your life you haven’t given God control over yet. Pray on them. My hope for you is that you have just as incredible a year as I have. God bless!



Thank you, Michele! What a blessing that was and a reminder that God truly does have our best interest at heart even through the yucky parts! Readers, feel free to leave comments for Michele or connect with her on her blog or on FB: https://www.facebook.com/#!/manchesterclark.

Next Monday I'll be hosting author Lillian Duncan so make sure to stop back! Have a great week!

1 comment:

Cameron VSJ said...

Hi,

I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

Thanks,

Cameron

cameronvsj(at)gmail.com