Sunday, March 22, 2009

Proud to be a Tough Little Nut!

It's true. I really am proud to be a nut. Not the way you're thinking right now as you're chuckling to yourself. I'm not off my rocker or anything like that . . . yet (at least I don't think I am). I used to think I was that kind of a nut for wanting to make a difference in this world. What was I thinking? What difference could one very average and ordinary person make in this great big wide world??? Then I read a saying that Deb Kinnard, a very talented author also with Sheaf House, has as a part of her signature at the bottom of her emails. It read: "Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground." Is it even possible to make an impact in this world we're living in without being a tough little nut? I don't think so.

So here's to Einstein - no explanation needed. Here's to Benjamin Franklin - I mean, come on. He flew a kite in an electrical storm! If he wasn't a little off his rocker before his experiment, I'm sure he was after it!! How about Harriet Tubman or more recently Rosa Parks? Now there are two tough ladies that certainly held their ground! How about Jonas Salk and Albert Sabin, both founders of the polio vaccine? How about Billy Graham, probably one of the most notable evangelists in recent history? I could go on and on naming people, but you get the idea. It's okay, even good, to be a tough little nut!

I'm gonna move right in to tell you about a new little friend of mine who I believe is a tough little nut and will someday be a mighty oak tree. Katie Leach (pictured here with the permission of her mama, Ashley) is the great niece of a wonderful lady that belongs to the writer's group that I'm a member of. Sweet Katie is 6 1/2 years old and has just recently had a FOOTBALL sized tumor removed from her abdomen. She has been in a considerable amount of pain as this incision was rather large for her little body. That is the hardest part for me to read as a mama, besides the fact that you all know how I am about kids. They pull on my heart strings! Ashley and Ron (Katie's daddy) have done an excellent job updating Katie's status and SPECIFIC prayer requests on their facebook page so (with Ashley's permission) I'm going to copy their latest post for you:

3/22/09 8:45 p.m.Ahhhh-relief! After a morning of pain and fitful resting, Katie had a much better afternoon. The pain is very minimal at this time. We have some great meds on board and very scheduled throughout the day and night to stay on top of the pain, despite the fact the epidural being gone. Thank you, Jesus. Yet Satan continues to try to frustrate our plans. Although, it doesn't seem to bother her, she does have a small rash on her chest and neck. Benadryl is coming shortly to help relieve that; but we may have to play with the pain meds a bit to make sure it's not a reaction to the most recent changes. Please pray that Katie would feel relief and not have any more adverse reactions to her medicines. (She would crawl in a hole if she knew I was telling you this next part!) Katie had a bowel movement today! That's great news! And actually, that seems to have helped relieve some of the pain as well. The surgeon "guessed" that her moving bowels might have been causing the pain to some extent. I think he had some divine intervention! She's been moving herself up in her bed now, moving her legs around so much more while in bed and is so much more light hearted. She's feeling much better--even being silly with her nurses! We're seeing glimpses of our old Katie Bug again. I told her my heart was so happy to see her feeling better that I could just jump around the room! She smiled; but still doesn't want to laugh--it hurts too much! She did get up to the chair again today--sat for 90 minutes this time! Any little bit helps!Please continue to pray for her pain relief, either supernaturally or with drugs. Also, pray for her peace of mind. She gets so nervous when any hospital staff comes in that she tenses up and makes her belly hurt worse. That breaks my heart! So there is still a tremendous amount of explaining to do. Pray that the peace that passes all understanding would guard her heart and mind (and belly). If you find any other scriptures about peace that you could pray over her, feel free to do so! It's cool to pray God's own words back to Him!! Pathology reports are expected late tomorrow or Tuesday. Keep praying! Also keep praying for our other kids--they are missing their big sister and their parents. We're hoping to get the kids together once a day from here on out til we get home. Pray that does not wear anybody out! Praise God for fantastic nurses, a persistent surgeon who will not accept pain for our little girl; precious grandparents who are able and willing to help with all the "other" stuff; and facebook that allows us to update in an easy way. I'm still convinced and amazed at the goodness of God. I pray you know His goodness toward you, as well! (Romans 8:31-32)

Please pray for Katie Leach. I also want you to pray for Ashley and Ron. I have been so moved by they faith they have shown through this. What a wonderful example they are! If you have a facebook account, please go and join the group, "Praying for Katie Leach". If you don't have a facebook account, get one! :o) Seriously, it has been wonderful for me to reconnect with my friends from high school who I haven't seen in 15 years, to be able to stay in touch with my aunts and cousins who live in Ohio, Minnesota, and Michigan, and keep up with friends that I see everyday! It is also a great tool for prayer and support when someone is going through a hard time.


ADDITIONAL PRAYER REQUESTS:
Please pray for Lisa Fryer, who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and had surgery this past Tuesday. I don't have many details right now but as soon as I get them, I'll post them.


UPDATES:
My granny, Betty Moltz, has been in and out of the hospital two more times since her initial heart trouble, but is home now and doing well. Please pray for her for strength and continued healing. My best friend from high school, Patty Smith, who you all know because I've mentioned her many times, got some discouraging news about a week ago. The chemo that her doctor has been treating her with is apparently not working and they've run out of treatment options in Cleveland. The good news is that there is a doctor that specializes in rare ovarian tumors in Houston, TX, and she is scheduled to see that dr this Thursday. Know that I will be waiting right by my phone for updates on that situation. Continue to pray first and foremost for healing! I want my friend healed! Pray for travelling mercies. Pray that this dr in Houston will have a Heavenly wisdom when it comes to Patty's condition. Pray for her, her husband, and her children that they will have a supernatural peace and comfort. Again, I'll update you soon. My sister, Julie, and her husband, Jon, welcomed Kaylee Ann Roeder into the world this past Friday. They are home and doing well, praise be to God! Please continue to pray for them as they make this transition. Lastly, but certainly not least, my little Olivia has been stable since my last post. Her platelet count is still quite low but for several weeks now were still on the low end of okay. This booger of an illness just doesn't want to quit, as is the case with ITP. She will have more blood work on Tuesday and go from there. It has been week to week, watch and wait. Grrr. That is VERY difficult to a mama who likes things all laid out nice and neatly in black and white. Is there really room for gray area when you're a mama? I don't know, but I do know that I've learned a lot about my faith through this illness of Olivia's. I've grown tremendously throughout the past several years, I've grown some more just since Livi's been sick, and I still have a ways to go, but He is the Potter and I am the clay. As long as He's molding me, I guess I'm okay.


GOALS
: Yes, I'm posting goals. As you can see, I haven't been very regular with this blog partly because I have been consumed with Olivia and partly because I've been consumed with my novel. My goal is to change that. I am doing a Bible study called "Experiencing God" with my mom and my intention is to blog on Mondays (starting next Monday) about what I've learned in this Bible study. Fridays will be my progress check in days. I'm down to crunch time. My OFFICIAL deadline is May 1st. I will probably be writing at least 500 words/night until then. Accountability is a beautiful thing. Any other days during the week will be dedicated to prayer requests and updates and any other insightful tidbit I might come across. So, if I don't meet you back here before then, I'll visit with you again on Friday, 3/27. In the meantime, I want to invite you to check out the wonderful Sheaf House website. We have some really remarkable projects that are already available and others that will soon be available. I'm very proud to be a part of this company and I think just by browsing the website you'll begin to see why. Also please stop by my friend, Deb Kinnard's website (http://www.debkinnard.com/). I've put up links for easy access to both. And always remember that if you have a prayer request of any kind (even an unspoken request) email me and I'll be more than happy to post it. Yep. You know it. There IS power in prayer!

No comments: