Monday, July 4, 2011

Make-A-New-Friend Monday Introduces . . .

 I missed last Monday as I was on vacation in Colonial Williamsburg and Virginia Beach with my family. As you can see, we had a blast and it was a much needed break but now I'm once again behind the 8-ball.


So for today's Make-A-New-Friend Monday and in honor of the birthday of our country, I'd like to introduce you to AMY BEAUREGARD, a new face in Harvest Bay.

Welcome, Amy! Tell us a little about yourself.
Okay. Well, what do you want to know?

Let's start with where you're from. I mentioned that you're new to Harvest Bay. So where do you call "home" and why did you come to Harvest Bay?

I grew up on an orange farm in Southwestern Florida, but it hasn't been my "home" since my dad died when I was twelve. My mother left when I was really little so all I had left was my grandparents. They did the best they could but I left as soon as I turned eighteen.
Is that when you came to Harvest Bay?

No. I spent a year and a half basically being a beach bum. Then I got pregnant and realized that a great tan and surfing all day wouldn't support my kid so I became a medic in the United States Army. After serving for 10 years, including 2 tours in Iraq, I got out for good and came to Harvest Bay so my son, Dominick, could meet and develop a relationship with his father.

Are you going to tell us who Dominick's father is?

I'm sorry. That's confidential . . . for now.

Okay, then, tell us about Dominick. (Great name, by the way.)

Dominick is an amazing kid. He was born early and there were some complications which resulted in him becoming deaf. He’s really smart though and he loves any game with a ball.

So does that mean you know sign language?

Unfortunately, no. I was gone too much to learn it, but I'm slowly picking it up. My grandma, who was Dominick's guardian while I was stationed in other states and over seas, learned it with him. And his new stepmom is fluent in sign language. What else do you want to know?

Uh, well, since you are a veteran, tell us what the 4th of July means to you. 

I thought you might ask this. *Sigh* Since I've just recently left the military I'm presently recovering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and according to my psychiatrist I'm doing really well, but at this point fireworks are really bad. The noise and the sudden flashes of light -- they take me back to places I don't want to be. That said, I love this country. I've been stationed in other countries so I know first hand there are none better than the United States of America. I hate that so many, including my closest friend, have paid the ultimate price for our freedom, but I'm proud. Period.

I think I speak for all my readers when I say thank you for your service and I'm really sorry you experienced such loss.  

*silence*

Moving on . . . so, Amy, what do you think the future holds for you and Dominick in Harvest Bay?

Hmm. I'm not sure. I've really felt "at home" here and made some really great friends . . .

Like who???

I'm sorry. That's confidential.

Right. Sorry. Please continue.

I've been advised by one of my, ahem, "friends" to open my heart to the possibilities and I'm just trying to do that. Your guess is as good as mine as to what the future holds.

One last question for today: the books in this series that you have become a part of are of strong Christian values and themes. Can you tell us where you are on your faith walk?

Well, as you can imagine, after losing my dad the way I did . . . 

Which is how???

I'm sorry. That's confidential. 


Right. Sorry. Please continue.

And then experiencing the, for lack of a better word, ugliness of war, I'm not at a very good place right now. But, as I said before, I'm trying to open my heart to the possibilities. And another friend told me to try seeing with my heart instead of my eyes. That one's a little trickier, but I'm working on it.  

Well, Amy, thank you for stopping by today and giving my readers a little peek into your life. I want to wish you a happy 4th of July and, again, thank you for serving our country.

Yep. Now, if you'll excuse me, Angel's waiting.

And who exactly is Angel?

*Calling over shoulder* Sorry. It's . . .

I know. Confidential. 

1 comment:

Michele Clark said...

This is awesome! Can't wait until March (hopefully) :)