Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Testament Tuesday

Confession moment: I am not as knowledgable about the Bible as I should be. I can't pull verses to mind when I need them and I admit it's because I don't spend the time I know I should studying the Scripture. It makes me feel really inadequate, but I have a feeling I'm not alone. It's why I've felt led to start Testament Tuesdays where I'll post a verse from the Old and New Testaments for us to meditate on throughout the week. Maybe it'll speak to your heart. Hopefully it'll make us more familiar with the Bible which should be our goal, right?
This week's verses are two of my favorites: Isaiah 40:31 and Romans 5:3-4.

Isaiah 40:31 says, "But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint." This verse has been a comfort to me when I feel I'm pursuing an unattainable goal. It means different things to different people but to me it means that if we keep our sights on the Lord, in His time, we WILL achieve HIS WILL which is more important than our goals. He will never disappoint.

Romans 5:3-4 says, "And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope." Kinda makes you feel good about the trials we go through, doesn't it? It does for me. It reminds me of the story of the silversmith. When a silversmith makes silver he has to hold the piece over the fire. He can't take his eye off of it and he knows the piece is ready when he sees his own reflection in it. Through every fire we're held over, we develop the drive to make it through. As we make it through, we learn more about ourselves and our place in God's world. We develop our character and we develop a deeper desire for our Lord to see Himself when He looks at us. That's the hope. That's what I get out of this verse.

What do these verses mean to you? How do they speak to your heart?

No comments: